PI News and Advice
First-Time Grantseekers: Where to Start

Reader question: I was recently appointed to Research Assistant Professor of Gastroenterology at my university. I do not have previous research funding. Which type of grant should I apply for? 

Expert Comments: Because your research involves healthcare, you should probably focus on NIH grants. In particular, look to the smaller grants, which will be the R03 or the...

How to Stimulate Proposal Development on the Cheap
Although the conventional wisdom is that the way to win more research grant awards is to get researchers  writing more proposals, incentives to do so can be tough on your institution’s bottom line, says Robert Porter, PhD, director of research development at the University of Tennessee  in Knoxville. There are, however, a variety of inexpensive ways to stimulate proposal development. Here are just  a few ideas: