For many reviewers, your Approach section “closes the deal” with regard to their enthusiasm to fund your research. In fact, NIH data indicates that among all scored individual criteria, your Approach score is most closely correlated with your overall application score.
Therefore, if you want to convince reviewers that your research is worth funding, you NEED a strongly written Approach section.
You can get proven strategies to improve the impact of your Approach section by viewing an online training by Christopher Francklyn, PhD, an experienced investigator and NIH/NSF reviewer. On Dr. Francklyn will walk you through how to design a clear logic flow within your Approach. He’ll break down the relationship of the Approach section to other sections of the grant, and help you design your Aims to ensure reviewers know what you will do, and why.
In this 60-minute online training, Dr. Francklyn will address the following topics:
- Strengthen your Approach by answering the three main questions every reviewer asks themselves when they read a grant
- Improve your reviewer score by mastering critical Approach features
- Reviewer expectations as it relates to your career stage
- Make the most efficient use of your Approach section
- Successfully choose what details to share, and what to omit
- Uncover expectations of Preliminary Data requirements for new and established investigators
- Maximize the role of prior literature in your Approach section
- Design a clear logic path that provides a strong foundation for each of your Aims
- Properly balance text and figures to magnify their impact
- And much more...
Who should view: This webinar will greatly benefit investigators early in their research careers. However, it will also be useful for experienced researchers who want to improve their fundability, or investigators who have not had great funding success.
Dr. Francklyn has decades of experience as a reviewer and understands what you need to do to drive up your grant scores and increase your fundability. This online training will be based on his observations about what drives scores, as opposed to what NIH publicly describes the scoring criteria to be. As an established reviewer, he really knows how reviewers will actually respond to specific elements of your application, and how you can improve your chances at getting funded.
To view Dr. Francklyn’s online Approach training, simply follow this link and register online. Note: Access is limited to this session to ensure all participants have an opportunity to get their specific questions answered in the session. So, don’t wait, register today.
Meet Your Expert: Dr. Christopher Francklyn
Dr. Francklyn is currently a Professor of Biochemistry at the University of Vermont and holds an adjunct appointment in the Department of Microbiology/Molecular Genetics. He is an established investigator with over two decades of funding from various agencies, including NIH, the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the American Cancer Society.
He has served extensively as an NIH and NSF reviewer for over two decades, and has reviewed for panels covering various R-mechanisms (R01, R21, etc.). He also served on the Editorial Board for the Journal of Biological Chemistry, and is currently on the Editorial Board of Nature Scientific Reports.
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed or a Full Refund.
You take no risk whatsoever. If you find this essential session doesn't meet your expectations or you are not satisfied for any reason, simply let us know.
How do PI Leader Online Training Sessions Work?
PI Leader sessions provide you with best-in-class expert education and advice to address all of your non-science needs such as grants and funding, lab management, intellectual property, lab animal welfare and many other topics. Our online training (Live or On-Demand) are a cost-effective and convenient way to boost your chances for more funding and lab/research productivity. You can participate in the comfort of your office without incurring travel costs and time.
You have 3 training options depending on your needs that you would select by a drop-down menu after clicking the order now button below:
- ON-DEMAND: This format allows you to access a live recording of the training session. You get the exact same training, Q&A and handouts as the live session, but can listen to it at your convenience.
- CD: The exact same training and handouts are saved on a CD and mailed to you. It takes a little longer, but gives you a little more flexibility.
- TRANSCRIPT: The expert speaker's words are transcribed into a document and sent to you by email. It takes up to 10 days, but allows you to read the content.
With every option, your registration includes learning aids such as presentation handouts and other helpful materials.
PI Leader also offers site licenses and additional connections for your group or institution at discounted prices.
“I really enjoyed this webinar and found it useful”
- Indika Kahanda, Assistant Professor - Montana State University, Bozeman, MT.
“I wished examples of successful grants. I liked how he explained about sub-aims and dividing the approach into sections”
Latania Logan, Associate Professor - Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL.
“The specificity, breakdown of the sections by questions that can be applied to our own applications, and examples”
- Danielle Tarka, Grants Program Manager - Penn Medicine Lancaster General Healht, Lancaster, PA.