Mastering NIH’s Small Business Innovation Research and Technology Transfer (SBIR/STTR) Phase II proposals can represent a great source of early-stage capital - if your product is highly innovative and has a strong potential for commercialization.
However, even if you have successfully received NIH funding through traditional research mechanisms (R21, R01, etc.) in the past, writing a successful SBIR/STTR proposal can be frustrating. This is because these small business grants have key differences and expectations you must incorporate when writing your proposal.
You can improve your chances of submitting a fundable small business proposal by attending this expert-led online training by Alix Norris, PhD. During this training, Dr. Norris will walk you through the NIH SBIR/STTR program, focusing on the larger, Phase II SBIR/STTR proposals and the FastTrack mechanism.
By taking advantage of this 60-minute online training, you’ll be able to identify key similarities and differences between Phase I and Phase II proposals and learn best practices and insider tips for making your application more successful.
Here are a few strategies that you will learn by completing this training:
- Determine the unique review criteria that applies specifically to the Phase II proposal
- Write a competitive Commercialization Strategy to boost funding chances
- How to effectively frame your Phase I achievements in the Phase II proposal
- Identify when to use the Direct to Phase II mechanism
- Develop the expected scope and budget for a Phase II project
- Effectively structure your specific aims for a Phase II project
- Maximize the understandability and compliance of your budget
- Clarify whether a FastTrack, Direct-to-Phase II or Phase II proposal is best for your project
Who Should Complete: PIs involved in spin-off or small-business start-ups stemming from their research would benefit from this training. Also, staff at institutional tech transfer offices that foster the translation of research products into the commercial market would find value in the information provided by Dr. Norris.
A successfully-funded SBIR/STTR Phase II application looks very different from a traditional academic application. There are key, unspoken elements that you should incorporate to maximize your success. If you are not savvy to these important differences you can kiss this additional funding resource goodbye.
Don’t lose out on a great opportunity to share your research and make an impact on the world by getting the funding you need to make it possible. Hurry up and order today!
Meet Your Expert: Alix Norris, Ph.D.
Coming from an academic background, Dr. Alix Norris received her degrees from Virginia Tech and Wake Forest University. She went on to complete a successful four-year postdoctoral fellowship in the lab of Dr. Murray Korc (a prestigious Joseph M. Huber Professor and Chair of Medicine) at Dartmouth College, elucidating the complex signaling pathways activated in pancreatic cancer. While in academia, Dr. Norris successfully competed for federal research and training grant programs, including the Department of Defense's Predoctoral Fellowship, the NIH's F32 Postdoctoral Fellowship, an NIH R21, and numerous travel and merit-based internal awards. After the completion of her postdoctoral fellowship in 2011, Alix founded Tn Consulting, LLC, a powerhouse in the federal grant-writing arena, in order to support her love of writing and to use her scientific strengths in experimental planning, interpretation, and communication to better help others in science. Tn Consulting has assisted more than 30 small-business teams attain over $18M in SBIR/STTR funding from numerous institutes at the NIH, the Department of Defense, and the NSF.
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed or a Full Refund.
How does PI Leader Online Training Sessions Work?
PI Leader sessions provide you with best-in-class expert education and advice to address all of your non-science needs such as grants and funding, lab management, intellectual property, lab animal welfare and many other topics. Our online trainings are a cost-effective and convenient way to boost your chances for more funding and lab/research productivity. You can participate in the comfort of your office without incurring travel costs and time.
You have 3 training options depending on your needs that you would select by a drop-down menu after clicking the order now button below:
- ON-DEMAND: This format allows you to access a live recording of the training session. You get the exact same training, Q&A and handouts as the live session, but can listen to it at your convenience.
- CD: The exact same training and handouts are saved on a CD and mailed to you. It takes a little longer, but gives you a little more flexibility.
- TRANSCRIPT: The expert speaker's words are transcribed into a document and sent to you by email. It takes up to 10 days, but allows you to read the content.
With every option includes learning aids such as presentation handouts and other helpful materials.
PI Leader also offers site licenses and additional connections for your group or institution at discounted prices. And you can purchase recordings of the live sessions as MP4 files, CD-ROMs and/or PDF transcripts.
“Well organized and the availability of the recorded download, transcript and slide deck is useful.”
- Mark Newman, President and Founder - NewMark Diagnostics LLC, Duluth, GA
“I liked the detailed information for the sections of STTR Phase II”
- Stephen Palmer, Associate Professor - University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.